We're developing tomorrow's materials today.
Plansee is the acknowledged expert for refractory metals. With 90 years' experience and more than 15 000 product developments, we perfectly understand the behavior and capabilities of molybdenum, tungsten, tantalum, niobium and chromium. In combination with other metallic and ceramic materials, we can adapt the properties of "our" metals precisely to your specific requirements. We constantly strive to enhance the performance of our materials even further.We simulate the behavior of materials during production and in applications, examine the chemical and physical processes and test our conclusions in concrete trials conducted in collaboration with our customers.
This helps us save time and money during the development of your tailor-made material.
We participate in international collaborations with leading research institutes and have been inviting guests and speakers to the international Plansee Seminar every four years since 1952. At this scientific gathering, prestigious names from the powder metallurgy industry present their latest findings relating to the development, production and use of refractory metals.
We love a challenge.
Our materials experts specialize in enhancing our materials and combining the properties of individual materials in new and different ways.
Taking molybdenum, tungsten, tantalum, niobium and chromium as its starting point, Plansee has developed approximately 200 different alloys and composite materials during the last 90 years. Nowadays, our portfolio of materials has been extended by aluminium , graphite and ceramics for special applications in the electronics, coating and power engineering sectors.
Our laboratory services:
- Chemical analysis: Atom spectrometry, gas analysis, chemical characterization of powders, X-ray techniques, ion chromatography and thermophysical analytical methods
- Corrosion testing: Tests of atmospheric corrosion, wet corrosion, corrosion in melts, hot gas corrosion and electrochemical corrosion
- Mechanical and technological materials testing: Hardness testing, testing of strength and viscosity, testing of electrical properties together with technological and fracture mechanics test procedures at temperatures up to over 2 000 °C
- Metallography: Qualitative and quantitative description of the microstructure of metallic materials, use of light-optical microscopy, scanning electron microscopy, energy dispersive (EDX) and wavelength dispersive (WDX) X-ray analyses
- Non-destructive testing: Visual inspections, dye penetration testing, magnetic powder testing, ultrasonic testing, ultrasound microscopy, leakage testing, eddy current testing, radiographic and thermographic testing
- Application laboratory for coating technology: Development and analysis of thin films under process conditions
Since 1st July 1997, our test laboratories have been accredited in accordance with the Austrian accreditation law (Akkreditierungsgesetz - AkkG) to perform testing in the areas listed below and comply with the requirements of EN ISO/IEC 17025.
- ICS Nummer 17.40.20 Surface properties
- ICS Nummer 19.040 Environmental testing
- ICS Nummer 19.100 Non-destructive testing
- ICS Nummer 25.160.40 Welded joints and welds
- ICS Nummer 71.040.40 Chemical analysis
- ICS Nummer 77.040.10 Mechanical testing of metals
- ICS Nummer 77.060 Corrosion of metals
- ICS Nummer 77.160 Powder metallurgy